Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder is a developmental disorder that starts showing signs in a child at a very young age, within the first few months of his or her birth. In some cases, children show no signs at all and grow up quite normally until 2 years of age when they suddenly show up Autistic signs like a stagnation in learning new skills or they might even seem to forget the skills they once learnt. The earlier the signs are detected in an Autistic child, the better it would be as proper treatments can be started earlier. An early treatment can help the child to overcome the communication and behavioral challenges better.
There are certain developmental milestones that a normal must show up at various stages of its growth. If a child do not show these developmental milestones, the parents should immediately consult a qualified professional at a good centre dealing with Autism treatment in Kolkata. Therefore, it is extremely important for the parents of the Autistic child to recognize the signs of autism and they must make themselves familiar with the typical developmental milestones which children must be reaching at different stages of their growth.
Symptoms of Autism may vary from child to child depending on its severity. However, there are certain signs that seek immediate attention on your part, being a responsible parent of the child suffering from Autism. These signs include having difficulties in social interactional skills and communication abilities (either verbal or non-verbal). If your child show these signs, then immediately visit a recognised centre for Autism treatment in Kolkata without delay.
Symptoms of Autism may be categorised under several spheres of their development and life, like the social sphere, communication sphere, behavioral sphere, or at sports and/or at play, performing arts and other such activities. However, it should be kept in mind that symptoms of Autism may vary from child to child. The common signs and symptoms of Autism affirmed by most professionals at good centres dealing with Autism treatment in Kolkata, are as follows:-
- Some children are inattentive towards social stimuli like smiling or they look at others less often.
- They avoid eye-to-eye contact frequently.
- Their non-verbal communication skills like making gestures, facial expressions and body posture do not develop properly.
- While examined at a centre for Autism treatment in Kolkata, some children point at things while asked to show a particular object, rather than speaking.
- Some Autistic children even fail to respond when their names are being called.
- They even do not take turns in a conversation.
- Some children lose the ability to use simple movements while trying to speak, hence failing to express themselves.
- They may face problems in paying attention on the same subject as another person is focussing on.
- Most of them are unable to approach others.
- They may also fail to point at things.
- They fail to imitate others or respond when spoken to, or may give unrelated answers or might even throw tantrums when asked something.
- Some of them may even fail to empathize with or respond to the emotions of others. They are unable to feel different emotions, and are also unable to share their own feelings with others. However, some of them do form attachments gradually with their parents or caregivers. Do not delay in consulting a trained professional at a recognised clinic dealing with Autism treatment in Kolkata.
- They cannot make and maintain friendships with fellow mates of the same age.
- They lack interest in sharing their objects such as toys, or are even unable to play with others. Hence, they like to play alone.
- They do not interact much with others, and if they do, then it is for a specific purpose of achieving something.
- Most of them avoid physical contact with others.
- Autistic children face problems like delayed speech and language skills.
- They have a hard time following simple directions.
- Some of them cannot speak normally, that is, they either speak something in a rhythmic tone or their voice might seem robotic.
- Some Autistic children suffer from ‘Echolalia’, that is, they repeat the same words or expressions that they have heard a day or a week ago, over and over again. Immediately visit a good centre for Autism treatment in Kolkata in such a case.
- They face difficulties in focusing on the whole thing or a toy; rather they like to play with some parts of the toy.
- They become irritated with minor changes in their everyday routine, as they like to follow the same routine everyday.
- An Autistic child is found to be flapping his/her hands and rocking his/her bodies frequently.
- Some children may also indulge in self-injuring activities like eye-poking, head banging, biting their own hands and skin-picking.
However, it is always advised by qualified professionals at recognised centres for Autism treatment in Kolkata to keep in mind that no two Autistic children’s activities would be same. There are even cases of people with Autism who speak quite well, but have difficulties in understanding speech. Again, you as the parent should remember that not all symptoms that are similar to Autism would suggest that your child is suffering from Autism. Some symptoms may be due to some other causes, which often tend to go away with age. Therefore, you must get it checked from an authorised organisation for Autism treatment in Kolkata, at the right time, as an early intervention into Autism disorders might help the child to get over most of the symptoms. The early you start a treatment, the sooner will your child be able to establish his or her basic developmental skills, and the sooner your child will be able to overcome most of his communicative and behavioral problems.